Monday, January 13, 2014

All About Yoga Attire

     If you subscribe to Kripalu Magazine like I do, you can check out the yoga clothing, although I cannot read the print.  I still like looking at the pictures.  They do have magazines on talking books, but I never ordered any from the state library, because I cannot imagine reading an entire magazine, back to back, every article.  Men sometimes say they only get Playboy for the articles, but the only men who are being truthful, are blind men.  Seriously.
     Anyhoo, when it comes to yoga clothing, I think if you teach yoga, I can see spending money on really great yoga clothes, such as Beyond Yoga and PrAna, but if you are just taking a class or doing it at home, I think yoga pants and tops from Walmart or Target are good enough. 
     The summer before last, I went to Charleston with a girlfriend, to visit one of my friends from the school for the blind, and we stayed with a lady who is a doctor.  I never get up early, but I agreed to get up early to go to yoga with her.  She had beautiful yoga pants, which she said she bought online for about sixty dollars.  I coveted them.  They were the kind with slits in the back, and really quick drying, wicking material, easy care, pretty, etc..
     I ended up finding a pair of teal green ones for a little over thirty online, from Beyond Yoga.  They were the only slightly expensive yoga pants I have bought.  Now I am longing for a pair of straight ones in orange, but I am being good and patient.  It has been a year and a half, but I suppose that since I am not going to classes right now, and did not get my teaching certification, I can just do yoga in anything that stretches.  I even do yoga in my jeans sometimes, the ones with stretch in them, but I prefer to wear yoga pants.
     I think just regular tanks and teas, both long and short sleeved are good enough.  I do not find shelf bras comfortable.  For men who might be reading this, that is a built in bra, which many yoga shirts have.  I have two like that, both from J.C. Penney's, one purple and one gray and pink, with matching pants.
     I like the kind of yoga pants that fold over at the waste, and I kind of prefer the shorter ones, because I am 5'3", so I have actually had to hem yoga pants.  I can sew with an eyeless needle, stuck in a cork, a trick I learned in Columbia, at the commission.
     Speaking of Columbia, I took a wonderful ashtanga yoga class there, advanced, at City Yoga in the university area.  It was an intense time, and I ended up crying during shavasana every time, which is actually a good thing, a release of all that is no longer serving one, or what Eckhart Tolle calls our 'pain body.' 
   The instructor had gorgeous yoga attire, the best I had ever seen.  They also sold yoga clothes, which I looked at longingly, while waiting for my ride.  They had royal blue, cotton pants and absolutely gorgeous tops.
     About five years ago, I went up to Calabash, North Carolina, to a consignment shop, where we found a gray and red yoga outfit, that one of my girlfriends got me as a birthday present.  We were celebrating my birthday.  That was a really cute one, too, and not too expensive, being at a consignment store, another option for finding great yoga clothes.  I do not suggest Goodwill for yoga clothes.  I haven't seen any good ones, and I prefer not to have someone else's energy on my yoga clothes.  They tend to be more personal, since you sweat on them, etc..
     Well, that is enough about yoga clothes for today, I suppose.  Next time, perhaps, I could discuss yoga mats, blocks, bolsters, Mexican blankets, straps and other props, not to mention yoga carrying bags that you sling over your shoulder.
    
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment